The Miraculous Design of the Bible
1. It consists of 66 books written by more than 40 authors from all walks of life.
- Kings – David, Solomon
- Political leader – Moses
- Fishermen – Peter, James, John
- A doctor – Luke
- A tax collector – Matthew
- A prime minister – Daniel
- A Pharisee – Paul
- A Shepherd – Amos
- A military general – Joshua
- A cupbearer – Nehemiah
2. It was written over a span of 1500 years, in different places and situations.
- In a palace – Daniel
- In a prison – Paul
- While traveling – Luke
- While fighting – Joshua
- In the wilderness – Moses
- In a dungeon – Jeremiah
- While fleeing – David
- On an island – John
3. It contains books of history, law, prophecy, poetry, songs and proverbs.
The breakdown of the Old Testament and the New Testament
Old Testament Breakdown
- THE LAW – Pentateuch
- Genesis, Exodus,
- Leviticus, Numbers,
- Joshua, Judges, Ruth,
- 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings,
- 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra,
- Nehemiah, Esther
- Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
- Major – Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel,
- Minor -Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi
New Testament Breakdown
- Gospels -Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
- Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians
- Colossians, 1& 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus,
- Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 & 2 Peter, 1, 2, & 3 John, Jude
The Bible is Seen to be Miraculous by What it is and What it Can Do
The Bible is Eternal
1 Pet. 1:23 – having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever
The Bible Can Bless People
Luke 11:28 – But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God, and observe it.”
The Bible is Without Corruption
Proverbs 30:5 – Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
The Bible is the Living Word
Heb 4:12 – For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
The Bible is the Source of Light
Ps. 119:130 – The unfolding of Thy words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.
The Bible is Absolute Truth
John 17:17 – Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.
The Bible Provides Food for the Soul
Deut. 8:3 – …that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord.
The Bible is Able to Help You Understand About Salvation
2 Tim. 3:15 – and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Messiah Jesus.
The Bible is Able Bring About Regeneration
1 Pet. 1:23 – for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and abiding word of God.
Why would God use such diversity?
- A God who wants to communicate to all kinds of people in all kinds of situations will use all kinds of people in all kinds of situations.
- To strengthen the argument for Divine design.
- The more people and different circumstances there are, the greater the difficulty.